Wednesday, March 27, 2013

~Review of THE EARTH PAINTER by Melissa Turner Lee~




  I really didn't know what to expect out of this book.I got more than expected.I was a lovely read that really made me think about some issues that teens face.Along with that,it also is a story of love.Underneath that, it is a story intertwined with a world fantasy like no other.
  Holly has just moved to Chesnee,SC.Here she meets a few friends,some of those friendships will grow,some will be broken,and some may turn into more.Holly starts out as beaten down,low-self esteem teenager who just wants to blend in to the point of invisibility. However,Anthony,Theo,and Wayne won't let her.They befriend her,which makes things a little easier and a little harder.
  Meeting Anthony helps because he makes sure she doesn't eat lunch alone.Holly eventually meets Anthony's mom,who is a key to helping her fight Fritz. His mom also helps her find her a purpose that gives her an idea what she wants to become in the future.
   Wayne is a geek who loves role playing and science of all kinds.One of his experiments to try figure out the school's water problem leads to a great discovery.This sends Holly on a mission to save the water well,which infuriates Fritz. Also Wayne makes Holly uncomfortable because he has feeling for her that she does not reciprocate,her feeling are for someone else.
  That leads us to Theo,who is an earth painter.He has hung around the high school observing humans for decades out of boredom due to his purpose already being fulfilled.No one ever sees him,which is good because he isn't allowed to draws attention to himself from humans.Except for so unknown reason,Holly sees Theo. They develop a bond that goes beyond friendship but Theo is doesn't feel the way humans do,which leaves them with dilemma.
  Oh and I guess you are wondering who Fritz is.Well is was a water painter but he did some questionable things after the Sculptor made humans.He detests humans,so he goes around ricking havoc by whispering negative and evil things into the ears of humans.Going against him could prove to be fatal.
  Yes,I know this review kind of long but this is the last tidbit,I promise.I just want say I know Melissa's work has Spiritual undertones so I tried viewing the character this way.I don't know how she intended it,but I viewed The Sculptor and God,Theo and the friends(the sciences and space painter) as Angel,and Fritz as the devil. Of course it is up to you to determine how you view them,my view may be flawed due to the ending.I still trying to figure that one out.Guess it is time to read Book 2.



No comments:

Post a Comment